Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Too Much of a Good Thing 06-24-07



We rolled out of bed around 10:00am, too late for the breakfast buffet. I have come quite accustomed to having freshly squeezed orange juice, locally grown fruit (pineapple, papaya, kiwi, bananas, avocado, oranges and grapefruit) and the scrumptious, dense bread for breakfast and I missed it this morning.

Today, we did faaaaaaaaack all. We sat pool side, drinking drinks and flipping over occasionally. I don’t really know what else to say, it was hours of laziness. The weather her has been exactly as we have needed it to be. Cool when we are being active, hot and breezy when we’re being lazy, raining only when we’re asleep on under cover, in need of the cooling effect. We feel so blessed by the weather gods.

For lunch, which was actually our breakfast and made all the staff giggle and wonder what we got up to last night, Mike had the snapper sandwich. He enjoyed it as thoroughly as I had. I ordered the Belizean special again, convinced that I can not go wrong ordering the local fare. It was barbequed chicken, with rice and beans and it did my stomach well.

After lunch, we did more of the same (man this is going to be a boring blog – but man was it ever needed). We soaked up the sun, now looking pretty brown. I listened to an audio book by Jaques Pipin entitled “The Apprentice – My life in the Kitchen” and drooled over the French cuisine he described. As much as I am enjoying my stay, I do want to get home and read through his and Jullia Childs, “The Art of French Cooking”, both of which we are the proud owners.

Happy hour began with a bang, we ordered a “Blue Hole” and went for a walk along the beach. Sasha, the resort Golden Lab, joined us. She seemed to be cleaning up the beach when she picked up a discarded plastic cup and carried it during our walk. We passed by locals on their piers, baiting fishing nets with chicken skin in the hopes of catching blue crabs. One family had an impressive bucket of them and posed for some pictures for us.

Upon our return to the resort, we hopped into the pool for a refreshing swim.

When we got out of the pool and headed back to the tree-house to change for dinner, I began to feel strange. I felt instantly drunk, wobbly, and giggly. I counted the number of drinks I had consumed and since it had only been three, I tried to talk myself out of this silliness so I could be presentable at dinner. It didn’t work, I was still stumbling and not speaking properly and proceeded to become more and more hysterical and delusional. Since there was no way I was going to be able to go to dinner in this shape, Mike had a black bean soup brought up for me, but I could eat only one bite.

So there was no breakfast and no dinner for us today. I was in bed by 7:00pm feeling like shit.

No comments: